Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Izakaya Takumi: A Modern Little Restaurant in an Old Part of Town

I actually didn't plan to come to this restaurant, the cafe I intended to visit wasn't open so I kept walking and stumbled upon this place, and I'm glad I did. It used to be a sushi restaurant and the Japanese-style interior does reflect this with its modern wooden counter and tables.


For  lunch there were 5 choices; a sashimi teishoku (set meal), chirashizushi (sashimi on a bed of sushi rice) set, kara-age (fried chicken) teishoku, fish miso katsu (fried cutlet) teishoku, and the fresh pasta set. The pasta of the day was chicken and kabocha (Japanese squash).


 I asked the chef for a recommendation and it was the healthy fish katsu. Normally katsu is done with pork but here it’s done with the fish of the day, which was a flaky white fish. Eating it without the sauce reminded me of a good fish and chips even though it was panko crusted. Perhaps it was made with a batter similar to fish and chips. Although it’s meant to be eaten with the sauce I actually liked the flavour of it on its own. Nagoyans  (my word for people brought up in Nagoya), like bold flavours so this red miso sauce is a popular condiment in this region. It is quite sweet yet full of umami.


The side of hijiki (a type of seaweed) and mountain vegetables nimono (simmer) was seasoned well, not too sweet and with a nice dashi flavour. The egg salad was chunky and seasoned mildly which was a good contrast to the bold miso sauce. The salad of fresh greens was dressed with a Japanese style, soy sauce-based dressing. The miso soup used a mix of red and white miso and to me had a hint of sansho flavour (Japanese pepper), although I have no idea if that is just my imagination!

Soft instrumental jazz music was playing in the background. I could hear the echoes of other customer's voices but it was not loud or crowded so I found it very easy to relax and eat.


Area: about a 5-min walk from exit 2 of Nakamura Nisseki Station 中村日赤駅
Restaurant: Izakaya Takumi 居酒屋たくみ
Maphttps://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230113/23065764/dtlmap/

No comments:

Post a Comment