Thursday, April 2, 2020

Bronco Billy Steakhouse: Affordable Family Restaurant

While wagyu is so delicious with all its fatty marbling, sometimes you just feel like a big hunk of leaner, meaty steak. With wagyu, you can only eat so much because it is so rich, not to mention pricey. For a thick slab of good ol' steak, try heading over to the well known casual steakhouse in Japan, Bronco Billy (there are various locations all around Japan).

It's a brightly lit family restaurant with an American lodge feel, meant to keep everyone happy with a few different cuts of steak, hamburger patties, a dessert, salad and drink bar. The restaurant was highly advertising their Uruguay aged sirloin, so I went for that (1628 yen including tax for 150g). For this cut they could cook it rare or medium rare, so I went for the medium rare. Here all the steaks are cooked over charcoal and it really showed in the overall flavour of the meat. The sirloin was pretty much a lean hunk of meat, and was tender, but not as tender as the rib-eye (2178 yen for 150g) of course which does have a bit more fat. I'm not sure why the sirloin had more of a smokey or burnt flavour to it, but I'm not so sure I fancied that.



If you order the salad bar set (an additional 500 yen), you have a choice of steamed white rice or bread. I highly recommend the bread, it's an individual mini boule that comes warmed and is so soft with a bit of sweetness that makes it easy to devour the whole thing. Also recommended in the salad bar is the mentaiko creamy dressing, puts a Japanese twist to a regular salad. The only thing I have to say I did not enjoy was the accompanying corn potage. It was so powdery that I felt like I was drinking a bowl of soupy flour.

I've been back once more since the last time for lunch. This time I ordered the signature all beef hamburger patty and kaki furai (fried oyster) combo. The clear consomme soup was much better than the corn potage that was served last time. I think I preferred the patty compared to my steak previously because it wasn't burnt and was actually surprisingly juicy; I thought that there might be fillers such as bread crumbs in it, but there was nothing added!



Area: a few blocks east of Iwatsuka Station (Higashiyama Line) 岩塚駅(東山線)
Restaurant: Bronco Billy ブロンコビリー岩塚店
Map and Website: https://www.bronco.co.jp/shop/nagoya/iwatsuka/
Hours: 11am-11pm (LO 10:30pm), Lunch 11am-4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment