Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Yogurt Flavours in Japan

Japan has many unique flavours of snack items such as potato chips, popcorn and ice cream, but it doesn't stop there. I am a yogurt lover and sometimes I come across new or seasonal flavours that I just have to try. For example, recently I tried sakura momo flavour which is cherry blossom peach, by the Danone makers. When spring comes along you'll see sakura flavoured items everywhere. It's a mild taste but somehow it's an addictive one, especially when it's seen only in this season. It's difficult to explain how sakura tastes but I wouldn't say it's floral. This is because often times the sakura leaves are used for flavour.
Sakura and peach yogurt

Upon opening the yogurt I got the immediate aroma of sakura which is what I often find of sakura products, the aroma is pretty strong. I was expecting the peach flavour to overpower the sakura, but actually there is a good balance. It looks like they use ground up sakura leaves here to flavour the yogurt, and only peach juice to achieve this balance. I think that if they used chunks of peach it would be too much peach flavour so it seems they have thought it out well. Overall a yogurt I would wait for spring to purchase again!
Pieces of sakura leaves in the yogurt


Here are some other interesting ones;

Early Grey Tea



Cocoa and Berry







No comments:

Post a Comment