Friday, March 20, 2020

Gandhaara: Stands Out From Other Indian Restaurants

There are a lot of Indian curry restaurants around Japan, and many of them are quite similar. In the Nagoya area, a small one that is located in a residential area has gained a good reputation, not only among the Japanese, but also foreigners. It is considered more authentic than those restaurants that try to appeal to the Japanese palate.

I stopped by for a small dinner one night. Because I wanted a lamb curry, I skipped the dinner set meals and ordered a la carte from the menu. The spinach and mutton curry was seasoned perfectly and went great with the roti (flatbread using whole wheat flour). I tried my partner's butter chicken and fish curry (part of the dinner set) but I found they were seasoned much lighter compared to the spinach curries, making them seem a bit lacking in flavour in comparison. I'm sure they would be delicious if ordered alone.

Spinach and mutton curry with roti

Area: 5-min. walk east of Honjin Station (Higashiyama Line) 本陣駅(東山線)
Restaurant: Gandhaara ガンダーラ
Maphttps://tabelog.com/aichi/A2301/A230101/23008998/dtlmap/
Hours: Weekday Lunch 11am-3pm (LO 2:30pm),  Weekday Dinner 5-11pm (LO 10:30pm), Weekends and Holidays 11am-10pm (LO 9:30pm), closed 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month unless it falls on a holiday

No comments:

Post a Comment